[Openstreetmap] Maps that Lye

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Mon Sep 26 10:29:10 BST 2005

nick at hogweed.org wrote:
>>Maps that Lye
>

> I wonder if the name "Lye Close" was chosen deliberately?
>
> I've seen what I'd imagine are Easter egg footpaths on Ordnance Survey maps.
> They start in one place, go for about half a mile, then just end, in the
> middle of a field, say - completely useless to anyone.
>
> A good example is on the Stafford and Telford sheet, just north of Wellington
> at grid ref SJ665138.

And of course, the rather vague bits around various government nuclear
laboratories, but that's not for reasons of copyright ref SU680680,
though it's interesting to note that Aldermasteron is now labelled
"Depot" on the landranger maps (I'm sure I've seen a completely empty
field there previously on the maps), with a pond called "Decoy Pond".

Multimap makes spotting such obvious lies quite easy.

There's another not so obvious case. Earlier in the year, I went for a
business meeting at SU470169, which according to the latest OS maps I've
got access to, is in a field next to a pond, yet according to the Royal
Mail there's a postcode RG2 6UH, and it's 350 Brook Drive, Reading. In
this case, the business estate was built a few years ago, and OS /
Bartholomew hadn't yet got around to surveying and releasing the updated
maps yet. (Though now OS have it on their get-a-map service, but
multimap haven't)

In this case, Openstreetmap might actually be more accurate in some
cases than the commercial/government mappers.

Could someone wikify the Lye Close example?

--
Simon Hewison