[Openstreetmap] Maps that Lye

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:32:33 BST 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:36:47AM +0100, nick at hogweed.org wrote:

> I've seen what I'd imagine are Easter egg footpaths on Ordnance Survey maps.
> They start in one place, go for about half a mile, then just end, in the
> middle of a field, say - completely useless to anyone.
>
> A good example is on the Stafford and Telford sheet, just north of Wellington
> at grid ref SJ665138.

At least some of those paths are real.  IME they go to a building or
other feature that no longer exists or isn't marked, or to a view point.
Of course, whether the path exists because people saw it was there on
the map, or t'other way round is a good question.

  All principles of gravity are negated by fear
                                            -- Cartoon Law V