[OSM-talk] donated boxes

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Apr 2 14:15:54 BST 2006

Hello Nick

Great idea, and I have looked into this.

The machines use 100Mhz FSB, BX chipset and the 250Mb/sec memory
bandwidth is rather limited between 2 CPUs. The very fastest CPUs the
motherboards will take are 700Mhz with 100Mhz FSB which are very rare.
Most P3 >550Mhz are 133Mhz FSB, so are of no use.

In terms of memory, the motherboards will take a maximum of 1Gb memory.
They are currently populated with 4x128Mb. The large capacity PC100
memory we would need to upgrade is actually more expensive than the
faster DDR memory. Therefore, if we were to buy either CPUs or memory to
squeeze more performance from these boards, we would be wasting money.

For the price of 2 700Mhz 100FSB P3 CPUs, we could probably buy a
sempron 2800+, which will give the performance of four P3/700 CPUs. We
could then marry that with 1-2G of fast memory. The potential is
multiplicative.

I will try to explain what I mean by multiplicative in this sense;

Imagine we had a 2Gb data set, perhaps a database. Then imagine we had
to run SQL queries on that data set. Ideally, that data set should be
held in ram, which has 1000x faster random access than a hard drive. If
we were to use two machines each with 700Mhz CPU, we would need 4Gb of
memory in total (2Gb per machine) to perform the task efficiently. If,
however, we could put all that processing on one motherboard (eg a
single sempron 2800+), we would only need 2Gb of memory to perform the
same task.

Money permitting, I would much rather spend the money on new
motherboards, CPU and memory. I would not spend a penny on hardware for
existing slot 1 motherboards.

Alternatively, please ask around friends, neighbours, work colleagues
for any computers made in 2002 or later, working or not. They are likely
to contain hardware we can use. Perhaps people could bring such hardware
to IOW where it can be collected together and brought to London.