[OSM-talk] data dump

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 08:34:34 BST 2006

On 4/3/06, Colin Mackay <colin.mackay at gmail.com> wrote:
> The downloaded file is not XML. So I'm guessing I need some sort of
> extraction mechanism. How do I get at the XML?

It's packed with bzip2 which is a pretty good at packing repetitive
strings in  text, you can find it here. If you are on Linux/MacOSX it
should be available by default.

http://www.digistar.com/bzip2/

on the command line you use bzip2 -d planet.osm.bz2 to extract, this
will give you a 80MB XML file.

Funny thing about bzip, the XML file compresses to a smaller size than
a comma separated version... (at 5kB/s downstream everything matters)

--
/Erik