[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Apr 7 08:22:35 BST 2006

[Immanuel Scholz]@gmx.de writes:
>> I believe we would get a long way with requiring GPG IDs.
>
> How does that help in ensuring that one person can vote only once?

By setting up a trust network with GPG keys, we can ensure that there
exist a person with the name given in the GPG key (this is what a
signed GPG key is supposed to mean), and we also get a way to check
who verified that this person exist by checking who signed the key.
This make it possible to verify who is behind each key.  Besides,
email addresses are normally associated with the keys, so we get a
list of working email addresses for the given person.

If there are two distinct persons with the same name, we can sort out
that problem individually, but we do weed out the problem with the
same person creating fake identities to gain extra votes.