[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 14:31:31 BST 2006

On 4/7/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:
> How workable would some thresholds like these be, for example?
> Any one of the following entitles a user to be a member (for 1 year):
> - Committing 100 lines of useful code to cvs

Lines of code is no measure of quality.  We could equally reward
people for *removing* redundant lines of code :)

> - Upload 100,000 gps track points

I'll just copy some from Steve's page on /traces, change the file name
and re-upload them.

> - Creating 1,000 new nodes, segments or ways

Spelling out "YOU SUCK" in 12km high letters in the Pacific?  Or just
at random, using a quick cURL script and the API.  2 minute job.

> - Donating $100

Out of reach of developing/3rd world contributors, and school kids,
and many other people (e.g. unemployed people). Think who has the most
spare time - do they also have spare money?

> - Making 200 useful edits on the Wiki

Delete 200 gratuitious semi-colons? Change all British English to
American English?  Are you volunteering to verify what is useful or
not?

My suggestion is that membership requires a postal address or phone
number - then call the number or post a letter with a confirmation
code that needs to be entered into a form to activate membership
(paypal do this).  I'm not worried about duplicate accounts anyway -
I'd guess we'll have less than 100 members who vote. It just won't be
an issue.

Tom.