[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Fri Apr 7 15:38:03 BST 2006

On 4/7/06, Tom Carden <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:
> >
> > If you don't reward contributors like this then the project will
> > pretty quickly fork and that would be a really bad thing.
>
> What's the reward?  Membership to OSMF?  Some reward!

Yes, the only reward of membership is the right to vote.

> Where would forking the project get anyone?  I can see how US members
> might want to fork the project, if they don't like the proposed import
> of TIGER.  For others, how would a perceived lack of reward be fixed
> by forking the project?

If you can't vote to influence the way things should happen, then
making a fork that you can influnce is one possible solution.  If we
exclude enough people then there could emerge a big enough group to go
off on their own. Thats why membership should aim to be inclusive not
exclusive.

 > I think free maps are their own reward.
Agreed.  Most people here do it for love not money.

> Setting minimum requirements
> for membership only encourages a crapflood.
Did you mean *minimal*?

>I am similarly against
> publishing lists of top contributors/editors/coders.  This is web
> community 101 - any system that can be gamed will be.

Agreed, any system can be gamed (ps, want to buy a passport?).

> My suggestion of requiring postal address or phone number is in
> response to a general concern that people might try to get more than
> one vote.  It's not actually a concern I share, so I'll leave it
> there.

Does anyone here actually have a genuine concern about this?  There's
been quite a bit of discussion but thats been feeding on itself.  Is
there a genuine, practical as opposed to theoretical, concern about
vote rigging?

> > Why make it so difficult - who are you trying to keep out?  Ed Parsons?
> >

> Mickey Mouse, Postman Pat, Michael Jackson, Tony Blair and John
> Lennon.  (Ever tried to get signatures/names for a mailing list or
> petition?  It's amazing how many of these you get).

My friend Jimmy Riddle has had to deal with this problem all his life :)

--
Etienne
(Forgot to reply to the list again)