[OSM-talk] Making an API call outside a browser

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 06:51:29 BST 2006

On 4/9/06, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to call the API (windows machine) without using a
> browser. Firefox is crashing on me when trying to view the source of a large
> area. IE works ok but occasionally hits a problem too. Is there another
> simple way to call the API and return the content in a basic text editor (or
> similar).

Simple... Depends on what you are used to, forever destroyed by the
Command lin(m)ess of Unix I think CURL and WGet are easy things to
use. There are  two options for window users:

1. download cygwin (www.cygwin.org)
2. download exe files
   Wget: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/hherold/wget-1.10.2b.zip
   Curl: http://www.jeffp.net/downloads/libcurl-7.13.1-ssl-zlib-ares.zip

Use this to download:
   curl -u andy at mapRus.co.uk:4771 www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.3/node/1
   wget --http-passwd 4771 --http-user andy at mapRus.co.uk
www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.3/node/1

Of course if JOSM would save downloaded material separately, that
would be a very good tool.

--
/Erik