[OSM-talk] Making an API call outside a browser

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 10 09:37:44 BST 2006

Hi,

>>It can be done using JOSM.  First download the area you are interested
>>in (you can type in a URL directly (eg
>>http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=51.367216816083044&lon=-
>>0.4469997327718085&zoom=12).
>> Then type Ctrl-S and save as a .osm file.
>>

> Of course!, imi always has it figured ;-)
>
> Thanks to all. I'll add all the suggestions to the wiki REST page when I
> get a moment.

While this should work for the typical need, I should warn, that this will
not save the original data, but parse the data into JOSM's object model
and then serialize this model to XML again.

This may have some impacts, as example the order of the data entries or
that additional attributes/tags the server emit will not preserved (but if
you use josm-latest, no additional stuff is currently known to me. ;)

Ciao, Imi.