[OSM-talk] Osmarender 1.3 with support for symbols and nested rules

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 08:32:46 BST 2006

On 4/11/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:
> Funny you should ask that...  I've just spent the last couple of hours
> reading the SVG specs about text on a path, with this very much in
> mind.
>
> It looks feasible, so I'll be having a go at it in the next few days.
>  One problem is that not all SVG viewers have implemented textPaths,
> so it will be necessary to use the Adobe SVG viewer or something else
> to actually see the street names.

First of all I don't think you really need textpath, just rotate the
name to fit the direction of the street. That's doable without
textpath, but might be harder to figure out.

A harder problem is placing the names, so they don't overlap...

Firefox does have support for textPath, since 1.6a Deerpark Alpha. I'm
guessing that is the to be released Firefox 2.0. You can test here,
and it works for me:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20030813/htmlframe/full-text-path-01-b.html