[OSM-talk] League of capitals

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Tue Apr 11 09:34:25 BST 2006

On 4/11/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:

> Great!  If you could do the same for any city of some size, there
> is a risk that the U.K. would pick more of the top 20 positions,
> but we would also see Grenoble, Frankfurt, Trondheim, and St.
> Petersburg.  There are many cities with more than 2000 map points
> that aren't capitals.

And now for the rest of the cities (I still need to get the US data
though). I've checked all the PPLC (capitals) and PPLA (regional
capitals I think) entries in the geonames database. I've shrunk the
search area down to 0.5 either side of the place, which is probably
still too big.

Top 10
=====
(remember points can be shared between places, so most of these London
boroughs will be sharing a set of points I'd think)
Hertford	UK	37137
Hounslow	UK	36548
Endfield	UK	36545
Enfield	UK	36545
Uxbridge	UK	36177
Ealing	UK	35595
Wembley	UK	35526
Twickenham	UK	35494
Harrow	UK	35162
Kingston	UK	34793
Kingston upon Thames	UK	34793
Mainz	GM	34667
Mayence	GM	34667
Hendon	UK	34424
Hammersmith	UK	34224
Wood Green	UK	33848
Wiesbaden	GM	33783
Islington	UK	33439
City of Westminster	UK	33359
Lambeth	UK	33359

The data is available from
http://www.dankarran.com/openstreetmap/place_activity.csv

There's lots of work still to do on tidying up the algorithm, but just
wanted to share some of the stats in the mean time.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran