[OSM-talk] We have an OpenStreetMap at last!

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Tue Apr 11 18:16:30 BST 2006

Andy
Looks good.

I see a couple of things that need to be tweaked.

First the names are not quite centered with the center-line of the
roads.  The dy attribute of the <textPath> instruction can be used to
adjust this.  It represents the number of pixels below the center-line
at which the text base-line should be.  Normally it should be 1/2 the
value of the width of the road core.  So if the casing width is 10 and
the core width is 8 then dy should be 4.

Secondly I see that the core of some roads are being painted over the
names of other roads.  Look at the north end of Elms Road for example.

This can be fixed by rearranging the order in which the rules are
applied.  Currently we have:

<rule k="highway" v="residential">
  <line class='highway-unclassified-core'/>
  <textPath startOffset='40%' dy='1' k="name"
class="highway-unclassified-name"/>
</rule>

If all the textPath instruction is moved into a separate rule *after*
the all the road rules then the names will always be on top of the
roads, like this:

<rule k="highway" v="residential">
  <line class='highway-unclassified-core'/>
</rule>

 .
 .
 .

<rule k="highway" v="residential">
  <textPath startOffset='40%' dy='1' k="name"
class="highway-unclassified-name"/>
</rule>

Etienne

On 4/11/06, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Have uploaded a quick sample of a local streetmap produced from the OSM data
> and rendered using Osmarender. Lot of work to do on it but its getting
> there. Thanks a bunch to all, especially the coders permitting the data
> editing and storage and Etienne for his patience with the XML/XSLT/SVG
> transforms
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:ManeyStreetMap.png
>

> Andy
>
> Andy Robinson