[OSM-talk] We have an OpenStreetMap at last!

Tue Apr 11 21:13:58 BST 2006

On 11 Apr 2006, at 18:58, Jim Ley wrote:

> "Tom Carden" <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:16e8cf860604111025u6974292gee871a5e29d1f7d7 at mail.gmail.com...
>> Otherwise, I don't know if it's possible to stroke and fill text in a
>> nice way, but perhaps white text outlines would fix it instead?
>
> Black Fill, White Stroke is what I've seen work well in other SVG maps:
> e.g. http://www.carto.net/williams/yosemite/

Standard practice is to have the stroke as the predominant background
colour.

In this case, the street names are on grey roads, so it should be black
fill, grey stroke.

If you really care then this is often called a 'pull-out'.

Richard

P.S. all of this is besides the point, which is that this is a serious
milestone - congrats Andy and Etienne. :)