[OSM-talk] Using OSM with PostGIS

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Apr 15 17:09:15 BST 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 05:30:37PM +0200, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> > The easiest way to import the planet.osm into Qgis is
> > to convert it into mapinfo format.
>
> I think the 2nd edition of O'Reilly's book "Mapping Hacks" with
> the sticker "now covers Open Street Map" has the potential of
> being twice as thick as the 1st edition.  Should we start to
> collect these "Open Street Mapping Hacks" on the wiki?  One page
> for each recipe, just like a cookbook.

An OSM cookbook sounds like a wonderful idea. There are print on
demand setups you could think about putting it through, if you wanted
to get carried away. http://wndw.net/ is a good technical book done
this way. I don't think it's that likely there will be a second
edition of "Mapping Hacks". And so much would need to be changed,
since summer 2004, it would be at least half a completely different book.

jo