[OSM-talk] OSM map renderer - update

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 12:20:32 BST 2006

On 4/19/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Any particular reason you didn't use exactly the same format as
> >Etienne?  (Not that I think you should have, I'm just wondering)
>
> Etienne's is perhaps more geared to SVG (or at least XML) output, through
> the use of XSLT, CSS classes etc.  The format I used seemed the most
> straightforward way to style a dynamically-generated bitmap image. However
> if most people are in favour of one single style format I could alter my
> format to the same as Etienne's, though that would require quite a bit of
> work, as a combined XML/CSS parser is obviously more complex than a
> straight XML parser.

No, no!  Good answer, I didn't realise Etienne's contained inline CSS.
 Of course, there might be room to meet half-way, but I'd leave it for
now.  If you're flexible, it's good enough!

> >Possibly worth looking to see if there are PHP bindings for the Anti
> >Grain Geometry library - I hear good things about it and the output is
> >lovely.  (It also works with SVG so we could keep output consistent
> >across all branches of the project).
>
> OK will look at that.

I couldn't find AGG bindings for PHP - all I found was a note from the
developer saying he was going to ask his wife for help :)

Steve was using Cairo with Ruby I think, but I couldn't find Cairo
bindings for PHP either.

Tom.