[OSM-talk] OSM map renderer - update

Wed Apr 19 12:48:20 BST 2006

Quoting Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com>:

> Every map in Sweden, that I've seen, uses these round caps for dead
> end streets. They have been in use for at least a decade. Most maps
> without those round caps "look wrong" to me, but thanks for enlighten
> me on why they do, I've always wondered.. ;-)

Now that's interesting!

Certainly not true in the UK, where I guess Ordnance Survey influence is
paramount (which isn't a problem... whatever we might think of their IP
policies, OS are very, very good cartographers). Bartholomew, A-Z, Harveys,
Geoprojects, FWT don't use round caps. Stirling Surveys are the exception and
do for some maps.

Elsewhere, Ordnance Survey Ireland don't, IGN (France) don't, Michelin
don't. So
I guess Sweden must be the exception. :)

Richard