[OSM-talk] surveying streets by flood-filling

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Wed Apr 19 13:37:10 BST 2006

Having listened to the recent podcast with Nick Hill and Steve, there's
an interesting discussion on the best way of planning a survey of streets.

One thing that sprung to my mind is Nick's method of zig-zagging a grid
of streets, and noting implied connections between the streets is all
very good, and saves a lot of time. It's pretty much how I completely
mapped the N3 postal area (Finchley).

However, given the accuracy of some GPS receivers in built-up areas,
it's probably worthwhile re-visiting certain streets, especially if the
estimated accuracy reported by the GPS receiver is rather poor.

Also, the idea of a dictaphone is clever. I personally use a pen and
paper, but that does involve stopping cycling to do this.

Ideally, I'd have a voice recorder which timestamps recordings (with
clock synchronised to GPS time, and a digital camera/video camera with
clock synchronised to GPS time), and some funky software to geotag the
voice notes and pictures based on the GPX trace.

--
Simon Hewison