[OSM-talk] New database server on the way

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 20:11:11 BST 2006

I have spent the day building a new server which I anticipate will be
used for MySQL. The processing and memory components were chosen for
database friendliness.

We can deploy the system once the hosting beaurocracy is sorted.

I have performed my favourite benchmark- compiling the linux kernel.

for kernel 2.6.15-2 on Debian sarge i386, I performed

make clean; make defconfig; time make -j2

When pushing the processors up to the physical limits, it compiled the
Linux kernel and all the default drivers repeatedly in 2 minutes 11
seconds. I'd say that's satisfactory!

Assuming you have the necessary build tools, you can perform the same
benchmark as follows;

wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.15.2.tar.bz2
tar -jxf linux-2.6.15.2.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.6.15.2
make clean; make defconfig; time make -j2