[OSM-talk] geocoding street sign photos

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Apr 24 03:52:06 BST 2006

Andrew Loughhead wrote:

> I have recently found OSM and started collecting data in my part
> of the world [1]. Does anyone have ideas for how to geocode
> photos of street signs? I know that I won't remember enough of
> them once I start mapping local streets. I could use a digital
> camera, and geocode them based on the location matching in time
> from the GPS track, which is easily the most common option
> google is finding. I had hoped to use a Jornada 568 + CF camera
> with GPS mouse attached, and geocode directly, but can't find
> any software that looks like it does that.

A live connection between the GPS receiver and camera is the more
advanced solution, that requires special equipment, to no real
advantage.  If you want to do research, try combining it with an
OCR program that reads out the name from the sign.

The easy solution is to combine GPS tracklog with photo timestamps
after the fact. I think there is free software to combine these
and put the coordinates in the EXIF data of the JPEG image file.
You might also want to check websites such as GEOsnapper.com and
Geobloggers.com.

> Would OSM store such photos?

I don't know about any such plans.

--