[OSM-talk] IoW and Mapchester - Visualisation Toolkits

Mon Apr 24 16:18:37 BST 2006

Tom wrote:

> Coastlines and waterways are obviously lacking in OSM. In particular,
> I could use an IoW coastline right now for t-shirt design purposes.

Am working on the IoW coastline at present (with thanks to Laurence
Penney for orthorectifying the relevant New Popular Edition sheet). I
should have a nice high-res list of co-ordinates in the next few days.

For the rest of Britain, I've already traced a bunch of waterways and
coastline stuff for my own maps. It'll need some processing before
it's usable in OSM - in particular, it's come from non-rectified NPE
sheets so will need a little correction after we've got the whole lot
rectified.

> Is there nice open source software for producing shaded contours?
> What about in a vector format?

Not that I'm aware of - the programs I use for this (DEM2TOPO and
Adobe Illustrator) are free-beer-but-closed-source and commercial
respectively.

I'd guess that Nick's PHP Freemap contour code could be built upon to
do the vectorising work. Alternatively, there's nothing to stop us
running the entire SRTM dataset through DEM2TOPO and generating a
bunch of pre-defined vector contours that way...

cheers
Richard