[OSM-talk] OGL, OSM, NASA

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Apr 25 15:23:09 BST 2006

Hi,

> that's when I started reading the current OSM code and thought to myself
> "no way... no wonder it's slow as molasses"...

Hehe.. that's what I thought on first side too. The SQL statements are
such ugly, my toe nails started to roll up. And ruby looked, no... it
smelled inperformant.

But it seem to just doesn't matter most of the time. Amazing..
(At least I find this amazing).

I just started looking at ruby and think have the same *bong*-effect as
you with python. Suddenly, all is so easy ;-)

> as I figured that the osm server was slow for some reason, I set out to
> create a replica that could be used as a temporary repository that would
> be synced at night, allowing me to use josm much faster. so I started
> writing a clone of the api...
>
> that's where I am right now...

Cool!  Actually I did some ruby server coding for exactly the same purpose
(except its a read-only cache). This is what my ruby-scripts is for that I
mentioned some hours ago in an other mail. But I got stuck somewhere in
the middle, mostly because I am not at the "Howto setup or use a
webserver" part in my ruby-book ;-)

But if you can provide a python server which inputs planet.osm and outputs
OSM Server 0.3 API, I am more than happy to ship your code along JOSM
(there isn't anything to "ship" anyway ;)

The most tricky thing would be, if the cache should accept writes too,
since then we run into numerous sync conflicts... but let us discuss this
in osm-dev, if necessary.

Ciao, Imi.