[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestin doing something)

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Tue Apr 25 20:31:30 BST 2006

Hmmm.... Suppose I look at a copyrighted map to find the best way to
get from London to Isle of Wight and memorise it.  Suppose the map
shows me a really good route that saves me 90 minutes.  Suppose I then
I travel there using that route but at the same time record the route
using GPS and then use that information to make a map, have I
infringed any copyright?

Etienne

On 4/25/06, Jim Ley <jim at jibbering.com> wrote:

> "Timothy Fintan Langner" <timflang at btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:008101c66899$213fc470$0301a8c0 at Tardis...
> > If you map an area and the GPS coordinates are time stamped, and you also
> > make a POI and called it footpath, surely that should be enough
> > information to confirm one went out and gather the information for a
> > footpath.
>
> I think that depends if you're taking footpath to mean "public right of
> way", and the only evidence of the right of way is the copyrighted map.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim.

Etienne
(Forgot to reply to the list again)