[OSM-talk] Coordinate transforms

Barry Hunter barry at barryhunter.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 18:52:54 BST 2006

There is links to various PHP/Perl/JS code here:
http://www.nearby.org.uk/downloads.html#programs
nearly all converted from the gps.gov.uk information.
These use the Hermert Transformation, with a typical accuracy of about 7m I
believe for most of GB. Irish gets better at about 2m.

For an online batch converter checkout
www.osconverter.co.uk
uses the definitive OSTN02 transformation.
Or the one at www.gps.gov.uk (no longer requires you to login)

I don't think there are any issues of IP after conversion. However
technically any coordinates in OSGB36 could be an issue as there is some
debate if the BNG is itself copyrighted, but as its just a means of
specifying a position its a real world fact. (A database of points could be
copywrited as that is a 'work', as such its the database of postcodes that
copywrited not the individual postcodes)

Hope that helps

Barry
- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk - www.trigtools.co.uk -