[OSM-talk] How do I tag this road in OSM

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Tue Aug 1 10:28:06 BST 2006

Christoph Burghardt a écrit :

> 1.) First i set the points, then i connect the segments, after that i
> generate a way. How should i construct a way without these prior
> informations?
>
> Until now a segment is the basis for a way, you can't remove it!
> agree with you, ways are collection of segments. but you will always need
> the segments as a base.

Segments could be removed if we consider a way as a collection of points.
It allow many things, as using same points for two ways with different
directions. It also enforce linearity (?).

I think it's a good idea to be able to group ways for tagging, but it
doesn't means that we should keep the "dual point only segments" thing
if we can have a better system.

Actual system :
- Segments are the physical representation of the word. single line only.
- Ways are the things to group tags.

Other possibility :
- Ways become the physical representation of the word. multi line
(collection of points).
- We can still group them for tagging.

The only difference is to switch from single-line segments to polyline.
It save the works of creating a group when that's not needed.

Side note : even if we keep the actual system, user interface could
allow the creation of ways directly from points (each clic add a point,
a segment to this point, and add the segment to the road). This can
divide by 3 the needed number of clics for long roads without intersections.