[OSM-talk] New Forest mapping weekend -- confirmed dates

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Aug 3 12:59:48 BST 2006

Hello everyone,

Would like to confirm the first New Forest mapping weekend as September
16th/17th. This should hopefully be early enough that the weather's still
nice, but late enough that people will no longer be on holiday, etc.

The idea will be to try and complete OSM mapping of the New Forest
national park between Southampton and Bournemouth in the south of England
over two weekends (I have already done about 25-33%, perhaps, myself).
Since it's largely off road it'll be aimed at walkers and cyclists, though
car drivers could still do some useful surveying of the towns and villages
- Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Lymington etc.

It'll be a somewhat lower-key event than IoW - there won't be
accommodation arranged, the idea is people come down for one or both days.
However there should be lots of accommodation available should you wish to
stay. I may be able to put up two or three.

Shortly before the event I will distribute a GPS map (.img file) of the
routes already done in the Forest, which you can use for navigational
purposes and to get an idea of what isn't surveyed yet.

The first weekend will focus on less forested areas (due to tree cover) -
it should be followed by a second weekend in early November when tree
cover is less (and you get to see the autumn colours before we descend
into the depths of winter)

More details to follow nearer the time. This date is likely to be final
but if I get a lot of people telling me they can't make that weekend but
can make 23rd/24th or 30th/1st, it can be changed.

Nick