[OSM-talk] Canadian (Gov't supplied) vector data

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Thu Aug 3 21:09:44 BST 2006

On Thursday 03 August 2006 18:32, Interlug wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-08 at 16:39 +0100, Emil wrote:

..
> Suggest that they are "okay with it" from a legal point of view (IANAL).
> I've sent a note asking for a CC-by-sa license to use the data.  I'll
> let you know if I get a reply.

Reading the whole mail would have helped; Sorry.

> My question is more along the technical side.  How? and Who?  And, I
> guess, "Just how big a production would it be to do this?"

Normally I'd guess about one week of programming and testing to write an
importer for a dataset like this. It greatly depends on the complexity of the
format they deliver there data and how much information you want to have
imported. The basic time-guess is only for importing the segment data without
any tagging.
Maybe we're lucky and will be able to use one of the standard tools
(grass, ...) to convert the data. I had a quick look at the website, but was
not able to easy download a sample of the data. If you can send me a sample
file of the data I can have a look at it and maybe provide you with a better
guess about the effort necessary to convert this data.

-

Joerg