[OSM-talk] Which track logging software

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Aug 10 10:33:30 BST 2006

People who use a laptop or a car-mounted computer to collect
tracklogs, which software do you use?  I'm primarily looking for
a Linux solution, but I also have Windows XP on my laptop.

I noticed GPSdrive has the ability to save a tracklog, but the
format was plain text that only contained lat, long and timestamp,
and no information about altitude or the number of satellites in
view.

On the other hand, the NMEA protocol (available through gpsd)
provides information not only about the number of satellites, but
their individual signal strength (or SNR) and position in the sky.
This could provide information about sky visibility along a road,
for example parts where one side of the road is more or less
obscured.  Can the GPX format represent this information?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)