[OSM-talk] Coastlines

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 10:23:14 BST 2006

On 8/16/06, Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk> wrote:
> Further investigation leads me to think there might be some mismatch
> problems with this coastline data.
> If you zoom in in OSM and compare the alignment to the satelite image it
> appears to be misaligned.
> Following screenshot suggests that it is off slightly in a southerly
> direction. If you look at the truncated yellow roads they seem to align
> well with underlying image. One would really need higher-res satelite
> imagery to reach a more scientific conclusion.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Iomoversat.png

Could this be a discrepency due to the definition of the tideline?  If
the landsat image was taken at high tide, but the shoreline data is
based on an average tide....

> It is even more evident if you overlay the data over Google map, where
> it appears to be all shifted to south-east.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Iomovergoogle.png

Yeah, I guess the google data for IoM is based on Vmap/DCW or on SRTM
data - all too coarse to show small islands like the one here. (known
as teh Calf of Man).