[OSM-talk] Coastlines

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 21:22:32 BST 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 20:54, David Groom wrote:
> Regarding the PGS  import.
> Is there any benefit in me joining these segments into ways?

The script is trying to put everything into ways, and that works for small
islands.  However, it often fails on the longer sections (I think it might be
something to do with sections where my internet connection gets disconnected
part-way through, or it might be to do with having many segments in a way - I
will be looking at the log files to try and find out what's happening)

> I note each segment is tagged as natural=coastline.

The segments are tagged as well as the ways, so that the coastline is still
visible if the way-creation fails.  Hopefully this "feature" can be removed
once the way-creation is improved.

> If so, then should all the coastline be one long way, or a series of
> shorter ones?

Interesting question.  Ideally the entire coastline of an island should be
just one way.  However, many islands are too large to upload in one go (e.g.
Isle of Wight, Britain, or Eurasia) or are split across several shapefiles in
the source data.

So for any island which gets uploaded in several sections, it will have at
least one way per upload.  You might be able to join multiple ways together
in JOSM.

(there will also be a one-segment gap where two uploaded regions meet, as they
each stay strictly within their allocated area)

Any island that gets uploaded in one session, the script will try to create a
way all around it.