FW: [OSM-talk] line length stats

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 09:36:52 BST 2006

 Forwarding this to the list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
[mailto:openstreetmap at ostertag.name]
Sent: 16 August 2006 17:57
To: Barnett, Phillip
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] line length stats

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 17:42, you wrote:
>   Maximum Segment length: 24.43 Km
>
> That's a very long dead straight line! A Roman road, or just a
mistake?

As what I remember that was somewher in the USSR and is a long streight
train track. But t was promissed to be split to smaller more acurate
segments.

I can tell you if it happened as soon as the new planet osm is readable
again.

BTW: I'd liek to suggest that we establish a maximum segment length of 2
Km.
This would also make downloads easier. For example if you want to have
all segments in a specified bounding box you could just increase the
bounding box by 2km and then you're shure you have also all segments
which are crossing this bounding box.
Comments are welcome.

-

Joerg