[OSM-talk] geonames considered harmful

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 17:33:59 BST 2006

Is that really necessary? I'm well aware that we want to remove any appearance of using licensed data. But in this case, the geonames data is not directly used in creating any OSM data, only as an aid to find cities.

Perhaps we can get in touch with Marc at geonames, and see if its possible to query an "untainted" version of the geonames data.

Other option is to utilize the worldKit geocoder again. That's fine, but it requires that the country be selected, rather than entered freely, and its not very good at all with spelling variations.