[OSM-talk] geonames considered harmful

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Aug 22 12:08:23 BST 2006

* @ 22/08/06 12:03:09 PM emil79 at gmail.com wrote:
> On 8/22/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> >No, it means we (and geonames) don't have a right to the data at all.
>
> If you believe that taking coordinates off a map (I assume that's
> what's being done here) is copying data that embodies original
> creative work, and hence work that falls under copyright. Some people
> here think that copyright applies to any 1's and 0's that someone
> creates. It doesn't - it only applies to creative works. And even then
> there is Fair Dealing.

Oh and also you enter a license with google when you use it too, so it's
not just copyright

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/help/terms_local.html

'You may not copy, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, translate,
modify or make derivative works of the imagery, in whole or in part. You
also may not rent, disclose, publish, sell, assign, lease, sublicense,
market, or transfer the imagery or any part thereof or use it in any
manner not expressly authorized by this agreement.'

have fun,