[OSM-talk] Organisation of Wiki pages

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 13:28:53 BST 2006

Currently there are two kinds of pages on the Wiki; WikiProject pages
(example: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_United_Kingdom)
which relate to an area and track progress usually using a table or list of
places.  And place pages which are specific to a city/town/village and
contain one or more rendered versions of that place (example:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Walton_on_Thames).

There are some pages, such as
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Isle_of_Wight which are a mixture of
the two.

It seems like it might be time to start thinking about making a clearer
demarkation between project pages and finished place pages.  The place pages
will ultimately form a gallery of rendered images of places of interest and
would be the pages most likely viewed by a casual visitor to the site.  The
project pages would be the location of planning and progress tracking and be
used mainly by participating users of OSM.

Does anyone think this is a good idea, or have any better or alternative
ideas?

Should we even be using the wiki as a gallery of places?  When I posted the
first osmarender images I did that mainly as examples, not really as a
method of publishing them.  I wasn't expecting the wiki to end up with a
rendered image of every village on the planet.  Right now, though, it is the
only way that a casual visitor to the site will see anything that really
shows off the results we've achived (and the wiki is a lot faster than the
main site so the brosing experience is much better).

What do people think?

Etienne