[OSM-talk] Re: [Geowanking] Perl Geospatial Content (and other gems?)

Andrew Turner geowanking at highearthorbit.com
Mon Aug 28 13:15:00 BST 2006

On 8/28/06, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2006, at 15:54, Jo Walsh wrote:
> > It would be nice to see this cataloguing / overview effort in the
> > Geo:: space to help provide clarity about what is available and
> > encourage existing module authors to work together... it's niche
> > enough to have a dedicated list anyway. The state of geo perl isn't
> > *too* far behind that of python and enough People Care...
>
> Absolutely. I've got three weeks of client work coming up but as soon
> as that's done I'm going to start cataloguing what's on CPAN at the
> moment and identifying gaps.

What would be beneficial to non-Perl programmers would be a good,
succint listing of what is deemed a good coverage of Geo
tools/libraries. In addition, a description of any of the general math
or algorithmic principles behind the libraries.

Then those of us who use/prefer other languages could provide/link-to
similar tools in those languages.

For example:
GPX Parser
 definition - http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp
 Perl - http://search.cpan.org/~rbow/Geo-Cache/lib/Geo/Gpx.pm
 Ruby - http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/googlegpx/upload-gpx
 Python - http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pygpx/

So then if someone comes to the list, they can see gaps in languages,
or find desired functionality and then choose their language, etc.

Many of the languages have so much similarity porting between them
wouldn't be hard either.

Andrew

--
Andrew Turner