[OSM-talk] Feature Query update

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Dec 2 15:52:18 GMT 2006

This is such an enormous improvement over any rendering I've seen before,
notably in its handling of text, how recent it is and how detailed the tiles
are, and degredation with scale. I'm very excited to be able to see my work
presented in such a nice way. This is the first time I've really been able
to look at a quality detailed rendering.

I notice that areas for natural=water and amenity=parking are rendered as
Ways, however (reservoir seems ok and as you say parks are also ok). A chunk
of railway line in my area is also not rendered in the detailed tiles,
though it is there in the smaller scale ones.

Both these artefacts are visible at
http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/?lat=6802000&lon=18000&zoom=14&layers=B

I think there could be greater differentiation of areas of different kinds
by colour, but that's a minor quibble.

Perhaps if you haven't implemented a particular area rendering, you (not
sure who I am addresing here: is this the mapnik part) could still render
generic types (e.g. amenity) which could be areas as opposed to ways it as a
grey filled area rather than a way.

IE7 also has a Javacript error and I can't get the search box to in IE7
(this is probably that error).

David