[OSM-talk] OsmNote - system for keeping and sharing notes on your OSM surveying

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Sat Dec 2 17:57:07 GMT 2006

On 12/2/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:

> 'bbox' is canonically minlon,minlat,maxlon,maxlat:
>
> http://www.free-map.org.uk/osmnote/georss.php?BBOX=-5,54,-4,55

Ah yes, always helps to look in the right part of the world!

> Is the "mountain road needs doing" yours? :)

It is indeed  :)

> > Would it make sense to store these as nodes in the OSM database, and
> > subscribe to nodes for your map that are tagged with 'user_note' or
> > something?
>
> The problem with this is implementation. In order to do this, you'd have
> to query the entire bounding box for OSM data -- with a one degree
> example like above, this could return in 'hours', or 'never'.

At the moment yes, but if it was filtered on the back end it would be
less db-intensive (I know that capability isn't there at the mo).

> > Then they'd be available to people using JOSM and other
> > editors, and would be available in different interfaces like OsmNote
> > too.
>
> Fortunately, any well documented API has this property.

True

> > Though to be able to do that it'd need to be possible to
> > subscribe to items in the main OSM database that were tagged with a
> > certain key (+value).
>
> Based on the current database schema, this is difficult to implement --
> and changing the OSM database can be difficult because there's so much
> data in it that it's hard to do anything with.

It wouldn't be too difficult (not sure how processor heavy this would
be, especially for large areas) to pull out all the nodes in a
bounding box, joined with the tags table where tag key = whatever...
Oh, I've just checked the schema and notice there isn't a nodes_tags
table like there is for ways. Are they stored in the tags field on the
current_nodes table?

Cheers,
Dan

--