[OSM-talk] labs.mc.com updates

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Dec 4 01:46:31 GMT 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:46:15AM +0100, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:

> > I also worked with jburgess to define a 'replace' functionality for the
> > osm2pgsql translator, which would allow me to update the database
> > directly without having to have 45 minutes of downtime between the `drop
> > table` and `commit;` steps of the current SQL.
>
> Just a dumb thought? What about creating a new database with another name,
> then when ready dropping the old one and renaming the new one?

Not a dumb thought at all. But the result of that is the same as the
result of changing the first few lines of the osm2pgsql -- a usable
database while you're replacing all the records in the database.  Using
transactions just allows you to do it in a way that's all database
friendly and so on :)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt