[OSM-talk] Fw: Yahoo! imagery in OSM

Jon Stockill lists at stockill.net
Mon Dec 4 12:29:54 GMT 2006

SteveC wrote:
> * @ 04/12/06 11:59:07 AM Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk wrote:
>> Wonder how this will impact upon the average OSM surveying trip?  I guess
>> the focus will move to street-name collection exercises, though I can
>> still see a need for GPX tracks particularly for countryside footpaths.
>
> Yes, GPX is still essential.
>
> It will be interesting to see how mapping aerial data areas changes. I'm
> figuring on adding lots of segments for everywhere near me then going
> out to find names and turning them in to ways.

Being able to prepare a map before you go out, thus providing you with
something on which you can just add the information for entry when you
return, and having a reference so you can see what you need to cover is
a huge bonus.

I tend to sketch a map as I go (it's easy on foot - wouldn't recommend
it if you're on a bike or in a car though) but unless you have a
reasonable understanding of the layout of the area you're working in it
can get out of control quite quickly. Being able to prepare the map
before setting out should make life a lot easier.

--
Jon Stockill
lists at stockill.net