[OSM-talk] Attribute Editor update

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Mon Dec 4 17:31:52 GMT 2006

SteveC wrote:
> is the code and instructions available?

Surely the instructions are still the same:
* Go to http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/
* Browse the map and go visit somewhere you know (shift drag to make a
zoom box)
* If you see a road that doesn't have a name, click on it, and you are
given the option to edit.

> * @ 04/12/06 02:08:31 PM crschmidt at metacarta.com wrote:
>> With feedback from rjmunro, attribute editor has received some updates:
>>  * always add a 'name' tag, even if one didn't exist before.
>>  * make 'highway' selection a dropdown, and make it available if
>>    it wasn't before.
>>
>> You can see the changes at
>> http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/osm_edit.cgi?way=3996601 , where 3996601
>> is the ID of the way you wish to edit. And of course, edits are in your
>> own name, now that you're required to type a username/password for the
>> edits.
>>
>> If you have any feedback as to how you would like to see the mini-client
>> proceed, please feel free to send it along.

Once again fantastic work from crschmidt - we need to get his work on
the main home page. Some more ideas from me:

Finding roads to edit
=====================
* Don't search unless you are zoomed in quite a lot
* Don't show multiple results - just show the one nearest the click. If
two are very near, then give an error, let the person click again.
Giving a list of search results of unknown roads is no use at all
(unless you can do the next thing)
* Ideally, highlight the road being edited with a PNG overlay or something.

General Stuff
=============
* Populate your Mapnik database automatically when an update is made as
well as the master backend, and then do your "don't use cached" thing to
make the changes instant.
* Remember this is the interface for people who live there and don't
have any technical skills, or a GPS or anything. Hide all but the name
and highway tags unless the user clicks on advanced or something. Don't
baffle the user with thing like "Way id 2130940892439842". You and me
know what that means. To the average user it means "This is too
technical for me - I can't possibly put the name of my street here - it
might break".
* Perhaps once someone has clicked on a way, they might want to report a
problem for an experienced editor to sort out, rather than name it -
e.g. this road (i.e. way) is too long - part has one name and part has
another, or it's missing a side road or whatever. Some sort of add a
note feature would be useful. Ideally we need somewhere else a system
for experienced editors to find and fix these at random, preferably
e-mailing the reporter back to ask if that's an improvement.

There's also some general layout improvements I suggested in trac, but
they were not related to the editor, just to the map screen.

Robert (Jamie) Munro