[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] road on western side of Loch Ness

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Wed Dec 6 12:14:37 GMT 2006

David Groom wrote:
> There is a long list of segments down the west side of Loch Ness, not yet
> made into a way.
>
> I don't mind making it into a way if someone can let me know what it is.
>
> www.npe.org.uk shows it as the A82, can anyone confirm this, and is it trunk
> or primary?

My policy is to just make it into a way with no tags, so that it shows
on slippy maps. Then, when a random local person discovers open street
map, and looks at the area where they live, then can see the road but
with missing data. They can then fix it using the simple tag editing
interface being developed on http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/. If they
just see nothing, they will think "Open street map is useless, it has no
roads in my area" and move on. I've been doing this around Sunderland,
based on the very extensive ASTL GPS tracks (and any others that happen
to be in the area).

The only problem with this strategy is that the ways you create may
cross a change of road name or something, but we have been promised
simple tools to spilt and join ways in the new flash based editor that
should be coming on line in the next few weeks, and a notes system that
will be integrated with the tag editing above, so that local people can
leave a not for a more experienced editor to come and have a look at.

Robert (Jamie) Munro