[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] road on western side of Loch Ness

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 14:02:42 GMT 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:32:32PM +0000, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Quoting "Robert (Jamie) Munro" <rjmunro at arjam.net>:
>
> > The only problem with this strategy is that the ways you create may
> > cross a change of road name or something, but we have been promised
> > simple tools to spilt and join ways in the new flash based editor that
> > should be coming on line in the next few weeks
>
> Yup, the splitting and joining bit works very happily now and is just
> waiting for me to finish the rest off!

Just out of interest, what happens if you try to split a way that

 * contains cycles (loops); or
 * is disjoint?

As you know, because a way is purely an ordered list of segments, with no
constraints on connectivity or otherwise, these are entirely possible. (If a way
was an ordered list of nodes, of course, it would make this easier.)

I would guess that an error is given?

Thanks,

--
Matthew