[OSM-talk] Highway tags and other junk

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 16:19:17 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 03:39:27PM +0000, Ben Robbins wrote:
> >Either you or I am mistaken. I don't believe that the highway tag
> >implies (or should imply) any rights of way.
>
> The only ones on there that dont state political information are
> highway=track highway=steps and highway=tertiary, of wich I use neither as
> they dont appear to currently fit in.   Please explain why its wrong, but I
> would still say that the highway tag should, and is mostly is, used for
> stating the rights of way.

highway = tertiary is political information in the UK, and is equivalent to a
C-class road.

highway = residential, unclassified, tertiary, secondary, ...and bigger are
rights of way in the UK unless otherwise stated - this should be obvious

highway = footway, service, cycleway, track, whatever are not UK public
rights of way, unless indicated (most footways in town are not rights of way as
such, but a footpath in the country, indicated by foot={yes,public} is).

If you really think it needs clarifying, then add an access= tag to everything.

--
Matthew