[OSM-talk] World wide coverage?

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sat Dec 16 01:20:02 GMT 2006

* @ 15/12/06 11:15:38 PM ajturner at highearthorbit.com wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm curious on the slippy map and other displays that worldwide
> coverage seems not only sparse/unshown, areas of the world just aren't
> even displayed. For example, if you zoom out to the world view, you
> only get the Northern Hemisphere, and not even the whole thing (west
> coast of US and further cut off)
>
> And at least in the US - when you zoom into areas that have apparent
> OSM coverage - you just get the "... more OSM coming soon" message.

Hi Andrew

This is the "why isn't $AREA shown on the slippy map" problem.

> >From right next to the map:
> "OpenStreetMap is a free editable map of the whole world. It is made
> by people like you.
> OpenStreetMap allows you to view, edit and use geographical data in a
> collaborative way from anywhere on Earth. "
>
> I'm curious what the problem is with incorporating other areas? It
> seems like it would be difficult to attract interest/excitement if
> someone's country isn't even visible. I'm traveling to New Zealand and

The second part of the first sentance you quoted is 'It is made by
people like you.'

I know you're a (F||O)SS person so I hope you take that to heart. :-)

If something is broken it isn't due to intended neglect or willful
ignorance. You're welcome to help tiles at home use the excellent
osmarender or metacarta with their WMS-C project. The default tiles also
need help, there are docs on the wiki for all of these I think.

have fun,