[OSM-talk] The Return of the Highway tags and other junk

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 03:23:44 GMT 2006

Well I'm forced to revive this topic, as It seems to have stopped.  Nothing
on the original post has really been answered, but a handful of elements
discussed.   Bar the correction that in very few circumstances tertiary may
still have its use within the UK, none of the original post needs to be
changed.  I still think the same.  Pushing a topic into the past doesn’t
mean anything has been resolved.  Now there’s a few outcomes that I would
expect to be clear as a result of discussion, of which none seem to have
been argued yet. (although opions may be clear)
1) My ideas are faulty, and the current is logical,
2) there both faulty,
3) mines logical; the current is faulty
4) there both logical, so stay with the current.
5) knowone gives a dam, until they bump into the same problem, therefore its
just my problem.

Well, here’s an example of why the current needs fixing.  I know of an
example where an old train line crosses a viaduct, the railway has been
dismantled, and a tracktype=grade4 goes across it.  There is then a few
gates, and one cattle grid(ish).  The whole section is a permissive walkway.
Now for this argument I shall also say its narrow gage, although in reality
it isn’t, but it’s possible. Now the current way (referencing the features
page) would be:

highway/railway=viaduct
highway=gate,
highway=cattle_grid
highway=footway
highway=track
railway=abandoned
railway=narrow_gauge,
foot=permissive

Now there are some obvious impossibilities there, but please say if you
disagree.

Now I'm proposing (in reference to tracktypes, the border key and features
key) that it could be done something like this.., and if not, I’m proposing
a discussion, to 1) say why its poor, and 2) suggest better..

highway=footway
foot=permisive
tracktype=grade4
railway=narrow_gaugue
abandoned=yes (<I’m unshore of this as its not specific to what it