[OSM-talk] The Return of the Highway tags and other junk

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Mon Dec 18 20:03:41 GMT 2006

On Monday 18 December 2006 10:08, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
[...]
> In terms of the general tagging policy, I think we need tags for:
>
> -physical description (dual carriageway, single carriageway, single-track
> road, gravel track, path). This has global application.

There has been a lot of discussions about physical/logical classifications, is
there a reasonable schema to support them just now? Actually not-UK users are
trying to adapt UK legacy schema to their classification to obtain nice
rendered "ways" with mapnik or generally with official renderers. That one
generates different problems: for example i mapped an Italy "autostrada" as a
motorway, in order to have it on the map, but with the incorrect colour, in
Italy motorways are green!
So we have to split them in some manner (namespaces?) and support them on the
rendering rules. It's very hard to render  people awareness to use a schema
not mapnik/supported. OSM developers cannot handle all these needs, but
should design some global principies and delegate to national osm projects
local rule generation.

	Niko