[OSM-talk] The Return of the Highway tags and other junk

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Dec 19 00:51:25 GMT 2006

In order to be a useful map, it has to be relatively complete for its
purpose. Irrespective of all these representational questions in this
thread, just in terms of our limited resources wouldn't it be a better to
try to approximate whole towns/areas/counties/countries to a useful but
coarse level of detail first.

I don't see the point in modelling a few gateposts and tracks in a small
area of countryside when there are whole swathes of the UK (for example)
which don't have even a basic skeleton of streets. Many, many towns and
villages jusrt don't exist for OSM yet in any meaningful way so why on earth
are gateposts anywhere near the picture.

Wouldn't spending time going a bit further afield and modelling basic street
patterns be a much better use of time in this co-operative venture? If what
you want, Ben, is an extemely  detailed map of a small area, then I think
this is not the right tool for the job, at least at this stage.

David