[OSM-talk] World wide coverage?

Ralf Zimmermann Ralf at Zimmermann.com
Wed Dec 20 17:13:26 GMT 2006

Robert T Wyatt wrote:
> It *seems* to me
> that the only editing option I have is JOSM since none of the slippy map
> layers seem to contain anything in my region even though there have been
> edits.

This page tries to give an overview of the available editors:
   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Editing
I personally use JOSM and I like it very much.

> This is something I don't understand. Are there additional actions that
> have to be taken in order to get edits via JOSM to show up on the slippy
> map? Are these actions something that the contributors do or are
> these actions by the site admins? Must they be requested or
> are they automated? Thanks for insights.

Currently, the slippy maps are not using the online database but the
weekly planet data dump. This leads to some delay. Also, some of the
slippy maps are currently updated by hand rather than automatically.

There is lot's of development in the area of the slippy maps currently.
If you wait a while, it will be sorted out.

In short: You don't have to do anything, the data you edited in JOSM
will find its way to the maps!

Have fun with OSM!

Ralf
Munich, Germany