[OSM-talk] Graphical generation of Garmin maps from OSM data

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Thu Dec 21 08:59:25 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 20 Dec 2006 21:28, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > On the other hand it might be an option to buy a commercial license
> > of cGPSmapper for this web service. We would only have to do it once.
>
> ...depending on the license agreement :) .
>
> [...]
>
> > Whatever we do, the user has to download something, either the
> > application or sendmap. So that doesn't change anything. But it would
> > be more effort to write a Windows/Mac/Linux application than to do it
> > as a web service. Especially when you think of all the upgrade
> > issues.
>
> Sure, and using a web service would be more straightforward for the
> user. Anyway I'd like to mention a Qt4 app I just noticed a few days
> before:
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=49378

This looks very interesting. I've tried downloading and compiling it. It seems
to be in very early stages of development (I tried importing a .img file and
it doesn't do anything) but it looks like it's in rapid development.

I think it would be worth contacting the guy developing it, particularly to
see if he's interested in developing a library for creating IMG files, that
could be re-used in other applications (either a web based or GUI based OSM
to Garmin converter, for instance).

Nick