OSM's future. [Openstreetmap]

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sat Feb 4 20:19:53 GMT 2006

* @ 04/02/06 02:53:27 AM lars at aronsson.se wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
> > > Do you have stats about amount of resources used by people in "edit"
> > > mode and in "view" mode ?
> >
> > per-session stats arn't recorded but as a rough guide tile saw 52,000
> > hits yesterday from 320 different ip addresses.
>
> What kind of information can you get out of the tile Squid?  Does
> it report the cache/hit ratio, and the min/avg/max processing time
> for the cached and non-cached requests?  My impression is that

ll:/var/log/squid# grep TCP_MISS access.log.1 | wc
  17220  172200 2514777
ll:/var/log/squid# grep TCP_HIT access.log.1 | wc
  15518  155180 2060270
ll:/var/log/squid# grep TCP_MEM_HIT access.log.1 | wc
   4567   45670  623279

> cached tile requests are served really fast, and I guess these
> numbers would hint at extending the cache expire time from 48
> hours to 14 days or more.  Can we think of a way to invalidate
> (the right part of) the tile cache when a map is edited?

Mikel is looking at such things...

> Re your earlier posting, I agree that OSM can need those 7-10
> servers within a year or so.  Right now 2-3 servers (new ones) of
> OSM's own (not borrowed) could be more reasonable.  If people are
> going to send money, they need some kind of organization or
> foundation to send it to.

I'll update when I have more concrete things to say, but I'm talking to
more people about hosting etc thanks to this thread.

> But this organizational/hosting/funding question should be kept
> separate from current runtime performance problems, since the
> latter has much more to do with the software.  If we use slow XML
> libraries instead of fast ones, there will be no end to how much
> hardware we are going to need.

I don't think it has much to do with the S/W actually. All the machines
are swapping, and there's very little I can think of to reduce the
memory overhead that I haven't done already. The database machine only
has 300 Meg ffs.

have fun,