[Openstreetmap] the disappearing landsat and speedups

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Sun Feb 5 21:52:15 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:12:54PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> * tile creation uses Magick instead of Cairo so it doesn't have to save
>   the tile to disk and then spit it out. Also, projection calculations
>   are re-used. munin says this takes less memory and creation looks
>   quicker

This appears to have made the white lines narrower (a width of 0 rather
than 1 in the code). I prefered the old look, as the new one looks like
the roads are not so solid.

See the difference in
http://www.earth.li/~dave/images/differentLines.jpeg where some of the
tiles were generated with the old code, and some with the new code.

> * tiles that are too big or cover too large a section of the planet just
>   return a blank (transparent) streets or gpx layer rather than kill the
>   database

This is a bit of a pain. I've been using a direct URL to generate
summary map of Oxford (so that I have a record of how we're doing).

http://www.earth.li/~dave/images/osm/oxfordMap-20060205.jpeg

I guess I need to write some code to request the 12 tiles that make it
up and join them together again in order to recreate this.

Oh, and the gpx points appear to have changed from diamonds to crosses.
This is actually quite nice, but was it intentional?

Overall, these are good changes, and when the map server comes back, we
will see how much faster it all is.

David
--
Wouldn't you love to fill out  that  report? "Company asset #423423
was lost while fighting the forces of evil."